stillpoint

musings from Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington ... home of The Write Spot

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Write Spot: Joanne Guidoccio


Welcome to chapter four of The Write Spot, a bi-weekly author series spotlighting the many and varied places where writers write. 

This week, it's my pleasure to welcome Canadian author Joanne Guidoccio. In high school, Joanne dabbled in poetry, but it would be over three decades before she entertained the idea of writing as a career. She listened to her practical Italian side and earned degrees in mathematics and education. She experienced many fulfilling moments as she watched her students develop an appreciation (and sometimes, love) of mathematics. Later, she obtained a post-graduate diploma as a career development practitioner and put that skill set to use in the co-operative education classroom. She welcomed this opportunity to help her students experience personal growth and acquire career direction through their placements.

In 2008, she took advantage of early retirement and decided to launch a second career that would tap into her creative side and utilize her well-honed organizational skills. Slowly, a writing practice emerged. Her articles and book reviews were published in newspapers, magazines, and online. When she tried her hand at fiction, she made reinvention a recurring theme in her novels and short stories. A member of Crime Writers of Canada, Sisters in Crime, and Romance Writers of America, Joanne writes paranormal romance, cozy mysteries, and inspirational literature from her home base of Guelph, Ontario.


Joanne Guidoccio's Write Spot

Love the butterflies, Joanne! Now that you've shared your photo, tell us what makes it the "Write Spot" for you.

When I first retired, I assumed I would be writing in my den. Everything was in place: desk, new computer, book shelves crammed with novels and craft guides, and inspiring Monet prints on the wall. But after several frustrating attempts, I realized the den was too small. While the room could easily be a second bedroom, it was not spacious enough for my creativity to flourish. So, I relocated to a corner of the living/dining area of my condo. With over 900 square feet of space and easy access to my kitchen and balcony, I no longer feel constrained.

Other than your computer or laptop, what’s the one thing you couldn't be without in your "Write Spot"?

My swivel chair. For the most part, I am very focused on my writing, but I do need an occasional distraction. When I turn in my swivel chair, I am greeted by a beautiful view of majestic trees.

What are you working on now?

I’m alternating between Book 2 of the Gilda Greco Mystery Series and Book 3 of the Mediterranean Trilogy. I’m also getting ready to promote The Coming of Arabella (Book 2 of the trilogy).

Where can readers find out more about you and your books?

Readers can visit me at joanneguidoccio.com and connect at the following social media sites:


Joanne's new book, The Coming of Arabella, is available for pre-order now and will be released on September 2nd. To celebrate, she's giving away 5 eBook copies of The Coming of Arabella


On the day of her engagement party, an ex-mermaid’s life is disrupted by the unexpected arrival of another mermaid—a sister she has never known. Under normal circumstances, Barbara Davies would be overjoyed, but her special day is already wrought with tension. While Barbara is not the first mermaid from the Mediterranean kingdom to settle in small town Ontario, she has yet to reveal her origins to her fiancé. So when Arabella, the gorgeous sister whose disturbing black eyes banished her to the island of Crete, saunters into her life, clutching the arm of Barbara’s discarded lover, a powder keg of emotion is released.

Relationships falter and careers stall as envy stirs in the hearts of the sisters. On the verge of meltdown after her fiancé leaves Canada for a teaching job in Vermont, Barbara flees to Arizona hoping for a reprieve. There, she finds solace at a retreat for ex-mermaids and a second chance at love with a charismatic preacher. As she contemplates a new life in the desert paradise of Sedona, shocking secrets emerge and tragedy strikes. A stronger and wiser Barbara rises up to face these new challenges and embrace the best parts of her mermaid heritage.

Purchase links:

About The Write Spot:
I've always been fascinated by what goes on behind the scenes. Whether it's backstage photos from my favourite play, a peek into the kitchen where a chef is working her culinary magic, or simply a glimpse through an uncurtained window into a stranger's private world, there's an undeniable thrill of discovery, a sense of secrets shared. It's no surprise, then, that I'm immensely curious about where other writers do their work. I've blogged about it before in this post about my own 'write spot' and so enjoyed the comments, I was inspired to launch a regular feature here at Stillpoint. Watch for The Write Spot every other Wednesday and join me as I discover the many and varied places where writers write.


Stillpoint is the blog of Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington.

   

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 7:25 am, Blogger Joanne Guidoccio said...

Thanks for hosting me, Cheryl :)

 
At 2:54 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

My pleasure, Joanne!

 
At 4:11 pm, Blogger Fran McNabb said...

Joanne, I love your writing space and your butterflies! And, your Arabella sounds fascinating. Good luck with the book and your writing career.

 
At 5:52 pm, Blogger Joanne Guidoccio said...

Thanks Fran! The butterflies inspire me and help keep on task.

 
At 1:29 pm, Blogger Sydell Voeller said...

A very cozy "write spot!" I love the butterflies too. Do they help put you in a creative mode?

 
At 5:03 pm, Blogger Joanne Guidoccio said...

Hi Sydell,

I'm obsessed with butterflies and feel so inspired by them. Thanks for dropping by. Joanne :)

 
At 7:18 pm, Blogger Karen McCullough said...

Looks like a great writing spot. The butterflies are wonderful.

 
At 10:56 pm, Anonymous Susan McNicoll said...

I love the butterflies and smiled at the fact you felt constrained in a room really set up for a writer. We write where our spirits feel the most free. Good luck with your latest book.

 
At 11:58 am, Blogger Sheila Seabrook said...

Joanne, I love the image of your Write Spot, and the thought that when you turn your chair, you can see the view of the majestic trees. How inspiring and what a great view to allow you to think and dream up story ideas. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 12:37 pm, Blogger Joanne Guidoccio said...

Thanks for dropping by!

Karen - When I set up the area, I left the wall bare for several months until I found the right wall hanging. The butterflies spoke to me.

Susan - It took a while before I could admit that my den was too "small" and I felt embarrassed sharing that fact with family and friends. But once I moved out of the room, I noticed an immediate difference.

Sheila - I alternate between intense focus and daydreaming. There's no middle ground for me.

Joanne :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home