stillpoint

musings from Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington ... home of The Write Spot

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

birds of spring...


I went walking at one of Toronto's finest waterfront parks this afternoon. Colonel Sam Smith Park in Etobicoke is a favourite with bird watchers and for the past few years I've enjoyed trying to spot new (to me) birds whenever I visit. Luck was with me today! I found a large group of long-tailed ducks in a sheltered bay. Most of them were too far away for a decent photo but this guy came close enough for a quick snap. Isn't he lovely? One for my life list.

Long-tailed Duck

A bit farther west, out in the yacht basin, the red-necked grebes were squabbling, pairing off, and joyfully singing the love songs of their people. 


Red-necked Grebes

Red-necked Grebes

The marsh area was comparatively quiet except for the trill of red-winged blackbirds and the quacks and dabbling of mallard ducks.


Mallard Duck

Mallard Duck

This gorgeous young robin didn't seem to mind at all when I stopped to watch him hunt. He even obliged by posing prettily for me on a rock.


American Robin

Over all, a very fine walk indeed! I don't know about you, but I am very glad it's spring.




Permalink:  birds of spring...


stillpoint... blog of Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 10:53 am, Anonymous Susan McNicoll said...

Thanks for the Spring walk Cheryl Just beautiful. We continue colder than usual with little sun so our cherry blossoms may not come out until May this year.

 
At 8:26 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

Did I say "spring"? Would you believe, one day later, it's snowing again in Toronto? Ugh. Thanks for visiting, Susan. May seems like a long time to wait for cherry blossoms. Wishing you sunny days, soonest!

 
At 7:51 am, Blogger Joanne Guidoccio said...

Beautiful pictures! And a lovely reminder of spring, especially on a snowy Friday in Guelph. :)

 
At 1:34 pm, Anonymous Ann Marie Ackermann said...

Nice post and photos! As a birder myself, I really enjoyed it.

 
At 4:28 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

Glad you enjoyed the photos! Thanks so much for stopping by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home