stillpoint

musings from Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington ... home of The Write Spot

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

My A-Z of Books...

A few weeks ago writer Shelley Wilson blogged a challenge called My A-Z of Books. Of course, I hopped right on over to read all about it. And then, of course, I had to take the challenge myself. What a great way to get to know other book lovers! Here are my answers:

Author You've Read the Most Books From:

That would have to be the late Lilian Jackson Braun. I have paperback copies of all twenty-nine books in The Cat Who series on my keeper shelf and duplicates of quite a few of them in audio format, as well. Narrator George Guidall personified Jim Qwilleran for me. His voice is firmly in my head whenever I re-read the books.

Best Sequel Ever:

This is a tough choice for a committed series reader like me, but I have to confess I was unreasonably impatient and excited for the release of The Tesla Legacy (Joe Tesla Series, Book 2), by Rebecca Cantrell. It was everything I hoped it would be, so I immediately became unreasonably impatient and excited once again for Book 3. (Now I'm unreasonably impatient and excited for Book 4!)

Currently Reading:

Verdict in Blood, A Joanne Kilbourne Mystery (Book 6), by Gail Bowen. I read the first book in this series a few years ago but somehow lost sight of the rest in the limbo that is my TBR pile. Happily re-discovered last month, I've been binge reading to catch up and enjoying every word.

Drink of Choice While Reading:

Coffee in the morning, tea from noon to midnight. (Unless there's wine.)



E-Reader or Physical Book:

Both, please! And let's not forget audiobooks. Some of my favourite reads have been listens.

Fictional Character you Probably Would Have Actually Dated in High School:

You're going to make me choose?!

Hmm…


Mitch Walker, my bush pilot hero in Sparks Fly. What the heck, he's a figment of my own imagination so he'd have to be the perfect date, right? ;-)

On the other hand, who needs fiction? Here's me with my real-life high school boyfriend, on our way to the Sweetheart Swirl formal in 1967. I married him four years later.


Glad You Gave This Book a Chance:

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. A short book with a pretty cover. It's a beautifully told story of a quiet life, heartbreaking but hopeful. I confess I cried a bit, but mostly this book made me happy. Not my usual fare, but I'm so glad I didn't pass it by.

Hidden Gem Book:

Daggers and Men's Smiles: A Moretti and Falla Mystery by Jill Downie – Canadian author, Isle of Guernsey setting, intriguing mystery, and truly engaging characters – these are people I'd like to know in real life. Try it, you'll like it! This series is on my auto-buy list.

Important Moment in Your Reading Life:

For me, it was a series of important moments, each one marked by a package from England. I never met my great aunt Win in person, but her letters and the books she shared launched me onto the reading road.

Just Finished:

The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, Book 1), by Elly Griffiths. I've listened to the later books in this series (2 through 7) about a forensic archaeologist in Norfolk, England, but somehow missed this story of how it all started. An excellent beginning! Now I'm looking forward to The Woman in Blue (Book 8)

Kind of Books You Won't Read:

I close the cover on stalkers, torture, and extreme psychological suspense. I read to relax. There's more than enough terror in the real world.

Longest Book You've Read:

That would probably be Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke at 1,024 pages.

Major Book Hangover:

The Blue by Lucy Clarke – my favourite book of 2015. This one haunted my dreams for weeks.


Number of Bookcases You Own:

Six? […counting…] Seven! And some shelves have books stacked two deep. (There's no such thing as too many books/bookcases.)



One Book You've Read Multiple Times:

Pick any one of the Harry Potter books. I've read and listened to all of them many times over with my son, J. Discovering this series was literally life changing for him.


Preferred Place to Read:

In my comfy chair on the balcony with Sam the Cat nearby.


Quote That Inspires You/Gives You All The Feels From a Book You've Read:

From Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery: "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."

Reading Regret:

That C. C. Bennison's Father Christmas series seems to have ended with only three of twelve tales told. Cozies are an endangered species!


Series You Started and Need to Finish:

I'm impatiently waiting for the audio versions of The Promise (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #6) by Alison Bruce, and The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant #6) by Ben Aaronovitch. What's taking you so long, Audible?

Three of Your All-Time Favourite Books:

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome
The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
Still Life (Inspector Gamache #1) by Louise Penny

Unapologetic fangirl for:

Audiobooks!

Very Excited for This Release More Than All Others:

Likely to change week-to-week, but right now: A Great Reckoning (Inspector Gamache #12) by Louise Penny.

Worst Bookish Habit:

Reading at meal time. It's the worst because (a) it puts my books at risk of food stains and (2) my brain has decided this pairing of activities is a good and pleasurable thing and now suggests I should eat something whenever I read. I read a lot. (Danger! Danger!)

X Marks The Spot: Start On The Top Left of Your Shelf And Pick The 27th Book:

Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen. Such a fun series!

Your Latest Purchase:

A Cast of Falcons: A Birder Murder Mystery by Steve Burrows – a May 2016 release and third in a terrific series. (Here's my review of book one, A Siege of Bitterns.) Steve is another Canadian author on my automatic "must read" list.



Zzzz-Snatcher Book (Last Book That Kept You Up Way Too Late):

Definitely The Blue by Lucy Clarke. Sam liked it, too.



And that's my A-Z of Books (pronounced eh to zed because I'm Canadian). I'd love to read your version, so please let me know if you take the challenge – I'll stop by your blog to check it out.


Now … what are you reading this week?




Permalink: My A-Z of Books


stillpoint is the blog of Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington


Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 10:21 am, Blogger Joanne Guidoccio said...

Hi Cheryl, What a wonderful idea! Love your answers and pix. I will also be adopting it soon. :)

 
At 10:45 am, Blogger Cheryl said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Joanne. I can't wait to see what you have to share!

 
At 2:27 pm, Blogger Shelley Wilson said...

This is fabulous, Cheryl. Love your A-Z and your high school photo :)

 
At 3:09 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

Thanks, Shelley! And thanks again for the inspiration. This was fun!

 
At 7:11 am, Anonymous Victoria M. Johnson said...

Hi Cheryl--
I LOVE this fabulous post! What a fun way to share your reading life. You've listed some intriguing titles, now I'll have to find them to add to my TBR shelf. Great pic of you and your husband (and cat).
Victoria--

 
At 2:46 pm, Blogger Sheila Seabrook said...

I always love to read about the preferences and habits of other readers, Cheryl. Thank you so much for sharing the peek into your reading life!

 
At 3:07 pm, Blogger Sandy Cody said...

So glad you took the challenge, Cheryl, and that you're sharing it with us. Interesting answers. Made me think about my own reading choices.

 
At 9:29 am, Blogger Cheryl said...

Victoria, Sheila, and Sandy ... thank you all for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed my A-Z!

 
At 1:16 pm, Anonymous Susan McNicoll said...

This was an incredibly enjoyable read Cheryl. I love the idea but could never come up with anything better than you did. You have also given me lots of ideas of books to read. And, of course, your favourite reading spot has my favourite photo featuring Sam who has to be a great reading buddy.

 
At 4:40 pm, Blogger Cheryl said...

Ah, Susan, I had a feeling you'd like that photo of Sam. ;-) Thanks for reading!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home