stillpoint

musings from Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington ... home of The Write Spot

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Books of 2015

As the clock ticks onward to the start of a fresh new year, it's time to look back and remember all the wonderful books I've enjoyed in the last twelve months. Welcome to my fifth annual New Year's Book List.

Retirement has been very good for me, in no small part because there's more time for reading! My 2015 total is 84 books read  a new personal best. I'm happy to report I stuck to my resolution to expand my reading horizons, discovering some wonderful new (to me) authors in the process. 

How did I read? I listened to 37 audiobooks, read 32 ebooks, and 14 print books. I expect the breakdown will be very different in 2016. Nearly half of the audiobooks I enjoyed this past year kept me company on my long commutes to and from work between January and the end of April. Since retiring in May, I've spent less time listening and more with a book in my hands, savouring words on page or screen. However I read, it's all about the story, and I've read some corkers this year!

Here, then, is my year in books, most recent reads at the top. (click for larger view):





Please don't ask me to choose a favourite  it would be impossible to pick just one from so many wonderful stories – but do come find me at Goodreads where we can compare book lists.

Currently reading:
Audio: The Last Word (Books by the Bay #3 ) by Ellery Adams
Ebook: The Anteater of Death (Gunn Zoo #1) by Betty Webb

First up in 2016:
Audio: (updated) The Chemistry of Death by Rebecca Cantrell (because I awoke on December 30th to discover this long-anticipated third book in the Joe Tesla series newly released in audio!) ... and then Moonlight Over Paris: A Novel by Jennifer Robson
Paper: The Passenger by Lisa Lutz (Advance Reading Copy  thanks, Pat!)
Ebook: Transferral by Kate Blair (With thanks to the Toronto Public Library who notified me just an hour before this post went live that my name has finally reached the top of their holds list.)

Just the tip of my TBR iceberg!

What are you looking forward to reading in 2016? Recommendations are always welcome because there's no such thing as too many books!

Happy New Year and happy reading!


Permalink to this post: Books of 2015


stillpoint is the blog of Canadian author Cheryl Cooke Harrington
  

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 2:15 pm, Blogger Sheila Seabrook said...

Oooh, I see Lisa Lutz on your 2016 TBR. I love Lisa's books and her sense of humor! I must go get that one out (along with the rest of the books you listed b/c I know I'll find some wonderful reads!)

I just downloaded a book I've been intending to read since it first came out: The Bridge Club by Patricia Sands. It's women's fiction and I love women's fiction!

 
At 5:26 pm, Anonymous Susan McNicoll said...

Incredibly impressive Cheryl. Plus you have given me lots of ideas of books to read in 2016.

 
At 8:47 am, Blogger Cheryl said...

Happy New Year, Sheila and Susan! May we all find lots of books to love in 2016.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home